The following list is from AlterNet:
- Bans on energy efficiency light bulbs are being considered by legislatures in Texas, Arizona, Georgia and Minnesota.
- Elimination of federal protection of salmon, polar bears, seals and wolves in favor of “state sovereignty” is being proposed in Alaska.
- GOP Congressional leaders abolished global warming committees and ended recycling programs in the House cafeteria, claiming “green” initiatives were too expensive and compostable utensils melted in hot soup and break in salads.
- They also want to abolish the EPA
Anti-Poor and Anti-Disabled Nuttiness
- A GOP legislator in New Hampshire wants to banish the disabled and homeless to Siberian gulags
- They want to abolish Fannie Mae because it competes with for-profit banks.
- Doctors in Florida could be fined $5 million for asking patients if they own guns under proposed legislation, while every adult in South Dakota could be required to purchase a gun if the NRA has its way.
- Georgia is about to allow guns in bars, churches and political events
- Arizona already allows anyone to carry a concealed weapon without a permit
- Utah has an official state firearm, soon to be followed by Texas.
- Congressional Republicans forced “gun rights” into the health care bill to prevent the collection of “any information relating to gun ownership.”
- Congress refuses to ban ammunition clips that hold 40 bullets and fire two shots a second
- In Georgia, undocumented immigrants could be charged with robbery for stealing “job opportunities” from citizens, while several states want to bar undocumented immigrants from marrying U.S. citizens.
- Alabama would make it illegal to rent to illegal immigrants.
- One GOP legislator wants to “make South Carolina a very hostile place for those who are in this country illegally.”
Religious and Moral Paranoia
- Mike Huckabee of Arkansas blames the economic downturn, crime and high school drop-out rates on our “morality” and wants America to worship evangelical Christianity.
- Newt Gingrich claims “religious belief is being challenged by a cultural elite” that wants God “driven out of public life.”
Afraid of Everything
- Republican Ron Paul wants to abolish almost all government agencies.